Moody’s is a global integrated risk assessment firm that empowers organizations to make better decisions
Analytical Tools and Solutions (ATS) is responsible for the quantitative models and analytical tools used in the rating process and across MIS. ATS also serves as an innovation hub for MIS, and helps coordinate and drive technology innovation across the firm. Within ATS, the Innovation & Data Science (IDS) group channels innovation ideas to build innovation strategies and performs MIS technology innovation activities to develop advanced capabilities in data processing and AI/ML. IDS partners with groups across MIS to drive innovation, helping them use new tools or ways of thinking to generate ideas, share information, or solve problems. This helps the business make better decisions by leveraging the latest advances in enabling and emerging technologies.
In support of our drive for continued innovation within MIS, we recently created a MIS Blockchain Center for Enablement (C4E) team within IDS to focus on translating blockchain and crypto-assets related business needs to define use cases and requirements, support blockchain analytical and engineering teams to develop production grade applications as well as build required technology infrastructure and increase dialog with institutional enterprises and blockchain service providers for potential opportunities to apply blockchain technology. This illustrates our commitment to invest with intent to grow our existing alignment of talent and business needs in a manner which advances progress of MIS’ strategic initiatives.
The Crypto-asset Analyst will join our Blockchain C4E team to leverage their credit and analytic acumen, while engaging with senior leadership team, rating groups, credit specialists and engineering teams within Moody’s organization. You will be a key member of the IDS group focusing on a broad range of activities to identify, develop and implement new blockchain and crypto-asset opportunities for MIS. You will be part of a team of individuals responsible for supporting successful project deliveries for our C4E. The role also includes advocating for operational and process changes to move towards a more data driven organizational paradigm.
The duties of Crypto-asset Analyst include:
- Manage and maintain deep understanding of the financial markets and the potential wide-reaching impact of Decentralized Finance (DeFi) on existing ecosystem
- Perform back-testing of assessment framework(s) developed by Blockchain C4E using market data to analyze crypto-assets and other related products;provide detailed feedback for further refinement of risk factors
- Develop deep understanding and working knowledge of blockchain and crypto-assets, plus DeFi to support research analysis on DeFi, CBDCs, stablecoins, NFTs and other crypto-assets
- Stay up-to-date on development within the industry and perform risk analysis of DeFi (blockchain) protocols, and other features
- Develop and maintain models for projections on the DeFi market size and applications, including custody, financing, market structure, and payments
- Cultivate relationships with analysts across all levels of MIS rating groups to categorize conventional credit analysis methodology and identify ways to integrate with crypto-asset rating framework
- Participate in special blockchain and crypto-asset related projects to advance the broader organization’s strategic objectives, which include solidifying Moody’s market position, enhancing operations, developing talent, and growing the business
- Scan the market and, support research and training initiatives to ensure MIS has a flow of blockchain related innovative ideas to help transform the business
- Provide forward-looking views with a high degree of transparency to MIS Senior Leadership Team and other stakeholders
- Support business requirements activities by providing end-to-end analysis for product and initiatives with respect to data requirements, data flows, data modeling, workflow context and design, and user interface designs within and across Moody’s systems
- Collaborate with business partners and engineering teams to design experiments to test hypothesis and help with idea generation and refinement
- Support in developing ratings assessment framework to identify risks and merits of blockchain and crypto-assets, with a focus on protocols, smart contracts, token and node design
- Contribute to the development of ATS’ multi-year strategy and goal
Potential for relocation or remote work
- Minimum bachelor’s degree in degree in Business Administration, Economics, Financial Engineering, or a closely related field. Master’s degree, MBA, CFA or similar designations a plus
- 5+ years of progressively responsible credit rating analysis related experience
- Intermediate understanding of blockchain and crypto-asset industry, especially DeFi
- Strong Excel skills for modeling and ability to perform cash flow analysis or use other analytical tools. Knowledge of SQL is preferred
- Experience evaluating new technologies affecting infrastructure and working with both investment grade and speculative grade issuers
- Experience with project development life cycle, preferably within banking & capital markets environment, or leading crypto startups
- Interest in DeFi and passion for designing blockchain based solutions as well as developing crypto-asset assessment frameworks Good written and oral communication skills, as well as strong analytic, problem solving and decision-making skills. Strong analytical orientation Practical experience with blockchain and crypto-assets Strong understanding of crypto-asset and DeFi market dynamics Experience in market or competitive intelligence, business operations, data visualization tools and/or data warehouse development Knowledge of innovative technical concepts including Machine Learning, AI, etc.
For San Francisco positions, qualified applicants with criminal histories will be considered for employment consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. For New York City positions, qualified applicants with criminal histories will be considered for employment consistent with the requirements of the New York City Fair Chance Act. For all other applicants, qualified applicants with criminal histories will be considered for employment consistent with the requirements of applicable law.