VP- Senior Blockchain Engineer
at Moody’s Corporation (Charlotte, United States)
Imagine what we can DEVELOP with you
True leaders are always learning. Moody’s is home to information architects, thinkers, builders, and passionate problem solvers, a collection of diverse viewpoints working together to bring out our best. Join us. Forward Together.
Moody’s (NYSE: MCO) is a global integrated assessment firm that empowers organizations to make better decisions. Our data, analytical solutions and insights help decision-makers identify opportunities and manage the risks of doing business with others. We believe that greater transparency, more informed decisions, and fair access to information open the door to shared progress. With over 11,000 employees in more than 40 countries, Moody’s combines international presence with local expertise and over a century of experience in financial markets. Learn more at moodys.com.
At Moody’s, we’re taking action. We’re hiring diverse talent and providing underrepresented groups with equitable opportunities in their careers. We’re educating, empowering and elevating our people, and creating a workplace where each person can be their true selves, reach their full potential and thrive on every level. Learn more about our DE&I initiatives, employee development programs and view our annual DE&I Report at moodys.com/diversity
Moody’s Investors Service is among the world’s most respected and widely utilized sources for credit ratings and research. Our opinions and analysis on a broad range of credit obligors and obligations are valued around the world for their insight and rigor.
At MIS, our workplace culture supports our mission to be the Agency of Choice for our customers, employees and future employees. Our Culture focuses on Excellence and embodies behavioral qualities such as Integrity, Responsiveness, Collaboration, Respect and Passion. Our people are our core asset and we look beyond outcomes to ensure that behaviors and interactions matter.
Moody’s Investor Services
In support of our drive for continued innovation within MIS, we recently created a MIS Blockchain Center for Enablement (C4E) team to focus on translating blockchain and crypto-assets related business needs to define use cases and requirements, support blockchain engineering team to develop production grade applications as well as build required technology infrastructure and increase dialog with institutional enterprises and blockchain service providers for potential opportunities to apply blockchain technology. This illustrates our commitment to invest with intent to grow our existing alignment of talent and business needs in a manner which advances progress of MIS’ strategic initiatives.
The Blockchain Backend Engineer will join our Blockchain C4E team to take the initiative, work independently, lead cross-functional project teams and produce high-quality work in collaboration with business partners, blockchain analysts, data engineers and data scientists to build robust data processing pipelines in an automated and testable fashion. You will be a key member of the Data Strategy and Management function in MIS Tech focusing on a broad range of activities to identify, develop and implement new blockchain and crypto-asset opportunities for MIS. You will be part of a team of individuals responsible for supporting successful project deliveries for our Blockchain C4E. The role will also be responsible for Agile delivery and managing and driving a team of blockchain engineers and contributing to the development of MIS’ multi-year strategy and goals.
The duties of Blockchain Protocol Engineer include:
- Stay up-to-date on development within the industry and maintain deep understanding of existing and upcoming blockchain protocols and crypto-assets especially around emerging ecosystem trends and products. Become a domain expert on blockchain and crypto-asset protocols
- Design and develop solutions, as well as deploy smart contracts, with one or more blockchain frameworks like Ethereum, Corda or Hyperledger Fabric
- Drive deep research on various blockchain protocols and nodes management as part of platform evaluation to develop decentralized applications
- Learn and understand layered protocol approach to integrate crypto-economics with MIS’ legacy applications to produce a sustainable distributed and fault-tolerant ecosystem
- Support capturing and documenting technical requirements, functional specifications and use case models
- Architect, develop and deploy decentralized applications providing permissioned access to data at both the smart contract and protocol level
- Build capabilities to leverage blockchain oracles and interact with smart contracts.
- Partner with the blockchain analytical team, internal subject matter experts and business owners to discuss potential blockchain opportunities, investments, and/or acquisitions
Blockchain Protocol Engineer Requirements
- Minimum bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Data Science, or Engineering preferred. Master’s degree and/or MBA a plus
- 7+ years of total software development experience
- 2-3 years of practical experience with crypto analysis, building blockchain applications, cryptography, stablecoins, DAOs and/or financial modeling
- Working knowledge of crypto-assets trading, token design and evaluation of blockchain protocols. Strong understanding of crypto-asset market dynamics
- Experience with project development life cycle, preferably within banking & capital markets environment, or leading crypto & blockchain startups
- Deep understanding of blockchain and crypto-asset industry, including DeFi
Must-have skills and experience:
- Minimum 2+ years working experience in one or many of the blockchain platforms like Ethereum, Corda, Hyperledger Fabric
- Knowledge and understanding of blockchain ‘Oracles’
- Experience with Linux and Ubuntu
- Experience with one or more public cloud technologies like AWS, Azure etc.
- Hands on experience in SOA with understanding of Web Services (REST and SOAP) and development of microservices
- Experience with Java based frameworks: Spring, Struts, Hibernate
- Experience with Angular or React/Redux
- Experience in work Container platforms like Docker, Kubernetes
Nice to have skills:
- Experience with Messaging systems like JMS, IBM /MQ
- Experience with streaming platforms like Kafka
- Exposure to Python
- Exposure to any machine learning libraries like Tensorflow or Scikit-learn
- Knowledge of Agile development life cycle, and system and application program development
- Good written and oral communication skills, as well as strong analytic, problem solving and decision-making skills
Must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 (i.e., at least 2 weeks after last dose) and, if hired, present proof of vaccination on start date, as determined by Moody’s.
Moody’s is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, gender, age, religion, national origin, citizen status, marital status, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. Moody’s also provides reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities or based on a sincerely held religious belief in accordance with applicable laws. If you need to inquire about a reasonable accommodation, or need assistance with completing the application process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. This contact information is for accommodation requests only, and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.
For San Francisco positions, qualified applicants with criminal histories will be considered for employment consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
This position may be considered a promotional opportunity, pursuant to the Colorado Equal Pay for Equal Work Act.
Candidates for Moody’s Corporation may be asked to disclose securities holdings pursuant to Moody’s Policy for Securities Trading and the requirements of the position. Employment is contingent upon compliance with the Policy, including remediation of positions in those holdings as necessary.